I took a recipe for candy popcorn from The Prepared Pantry that I love and tweaked it just a little bit. Its an easy recipe to follow and it makes quite a bit. Perfect for a party!
Caramel Apple Popcorn
1/2 cups uncooked popcorn
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup white corn syrup
1/8 cup of water
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons Apple flavor
green food coloring (I used this one)
1 package Kraft Caramel Bits
2 teaspoons water
- First pop the popcorn and put it in two seperate bowls. Its easier to mix up when its in two bowls.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. I used medium heat.
- Add corn syrup and water.
- Add the cup of sugar and bring to a boil. You want to make sure that there isn't any sugar sticking to the side of the pan, because even one grain of undissolved sugar can cause the candy to crystallize. If I notice sugar sticking to the side of the pan, I use a pastry brush and some water and brush the side of the pan until the sugar is gone.
- Bring the candy mixture to 235-245 degrees. Make sure you use a candy thermometer!
- Add the baking soda until the candy becomes foamy and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Add flavor and coloring.
- Pour over popcorn and stir until evenly coated.
- Spread popcorn out on wax paper and allow candy to cool on the popcorn.
- While popcorn cools, melt Caramel Bits and water in a medium saucepan.
- Pour caramel over popcorn.